To help you with your application, we’ve prepared a number of resources below.
Five-Step Application Guide
STEP 1: DESIGN AN AUTHENTIC RESUME
Let’s be honest it's hard to find good, consistent advice these days on how to develop an effective resume. So we asked our Executive Director to give us (and you) her best advice based on her personal experience. Before you start putting pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard) or worse re-using an old resume, we recommend:
- Read our blog: The 3 Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Submitting Your Resume'
- Ask for constructive feedback by asking those you trust "What 3 things should I change, enhance or remove from my resume?"
STEP 2: GET COVER LETTER INSPIRATION!
We've read thousands (actually 7,974) of cover letters over the past five years. So we're looking for something fresh! We love when people wow us with something professional, authentic yet unexpected. This week, we recommend reading:
- Three Secrets to Writing the Perfect Resume.
- The 8 Cover Letters You Need to Read Now
- "The New Rules of The Modern Cover Letter
STEP 3: TACKLE THE ESSAY QUESTIONS
Oftentimes, when applicants are moving through the application they dread the essay portion. However this is the one portion that we LOVE best at IDEX as atolls us so much about who you are! This is a great opportunity for you to make your application stand out by:
- Showing us you understand who we are and what we're about? It's safe to say that you've looked on our website at the very least, but how much do you know about our history? Our team? Our core philosophy? This acknowledgment and understanding can be a real game changer if crafted strategically into your essay responses.
- Telling us why you really want to spend six-months in IDEX over anything else in the world? Let's be honest, everyone likes a good ego-stroke! But we're looking for authenticity in every inch of your application. Don't opt for clever words to freshen up a generic statement. Instead use real, authentic words that show your personality. Tell us your story, how you found us and what compelled you to spend six-months of your life with us.
- Highlighting your portfolio or tangible work that compliments your application while answering the essay questions. Did you recently publish an article, white paper or perhaps short video on a topic of interest to you or work on a social campaign that further shows us why you want to work in social enterprise? Awesome! We encourage you to include links to meaningful and relevant work you've produced within your essay response. It's never a bad idea to re-enforce your skills or highlight an accomplishment. Just be sure that it's relevant to the question at hand and strategically inserted.
STEP 4: DEVELOP A FUNDRAISING GAMEPLAN
We're always saddened when an applicants had high hopes for joining IDEX are admitted only to decline the opportunity because they were not prepared financially. It's important to keep in mind that financial need is not one of the considerations IDEX staff and alumni look for in regards to scholarship funding- it's based on pure passion! We recommend:
- Start to scenario plan very early on your fundraising strategy if you are awarded less than the amount you expected.
- Hear from alumni on their advice for successfully fundraising for their fellowship program.
- Peek around our Indiegogo Page to see how former alumni have successfully used crowd-funding to make their fellowship possible.
STEP 5: FINAL TOUCHES
Before submitting your application, make sure each attachment (cover letter, resume, essays) are complimentary of each other but not redundant. Think of it as us peeling an onion. Each document should reveal a different layer about you. We love stories so be sure to consider the reviewer experience when editing.